Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Where to begin....summer is my favorite time of year, children are out of school, family vacations and celebration with my dear friends...

I have had so many bottles of amazing juice over the course of the summer, with my family and friends, I will start with my most recent memory and expand.

I recently did the Avon Breast Cancer Walk in San Francisco with my Best Friend, Liz Dressel. It was a cherished time in my life filled with love and compassion for those who have breast cancer, survivors and those who have lost family and loved ones. My family and I flew up North to spend quality time with the Dressel Family for over a week, we hiked, swam, laughed, enjoyed amazing dinners as well as drinking fabulous wine every night. Prior to our departure to San Francisco we had a celebratory dinner that was spectacular. Our very dear friend Keri flew up for one night to toast to our walk and to enjoy an amazing dinning event! We started the evening off very modest with ;

2005 Saint-Aubin 1er Cru, Les Murgers Des Dents De Chien, Marc Colin;
this is a beautiful, well balance Chardonnay. Full body complete with pear, honey, lavender; lovely nose and a very long finish. By far one of my favorites.

After we moved down to the pool house, we enjoyed 3 bottles of Turley Zinfandel with our steaks and poached Halibut..Compliments of Keri

2005, 2006, 2007 Ueberroth Turley Zinfandel, Paso Robles.
this was tons of fun to do and each bottle was so very different and unique. I will say that these stunning vintages all had similar characteristics of a big, rich, bright ruby red, dark berry notes of blackberries and blueberries, cassis, almost a port-ripeness to the palate. Simply put a favorite in my cellar and a gem for a lifetime..very well done Keri.

1996 Harlan Estate, Napa Valley;
We had a great, kind and sweet friend visit us early on that evening who shared a couple of unique and rare wines from his cellar. One being this stupendous wine by Harlan Estate. Founded in 1984, a California's "First Growth" located in the western hills of Oakville in the heart of Napa. An extraordinary and very complex wine. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot grapes with great depth and concentration. I noticed a earthy mineral edge, settle notes of currants and dark berry flesh, this wine was like no other California wine I have tasted. Layers of depth, fine structure and dynamic, could lay down for another 10-15 years.. Although, it sat in my glass for a very short time, I must say, I will look forward to tasting different vintages from this remarkable Producer.

And to the many bottles of 2007 Kistler, Durell Vineyard Chardonnay and 2007 Kistler,Vineyard Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast....that I look forward to writing about!

As always for me, I have many treasured memories of my lovely Liz, great moments in time that I will cherish a life-time...Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Orange County, CA, United States
I grew up with my Father, who had a great love and passion for wine and food. In the early 70's he collected many of the Grand Cru and wines that we now seek for collecting at a very high price. To my Father and a small group of friends, these wines were not marketed and highly worshiped as they are today, they merely collected them at a small price and educated themselves on each unique bottle. With this passion came a movement that started the wine shock in the early 70's and has continued until today. These same friends are very influential in the wine world today, wine editors, wine shop owners and highly praised collectors that keep us all on a watch for the next great wine of the year. Learning and tasting the great wines of the world at such an early age, forged a great love for admiring and collecting the grape. With this passion I bring to you along with my tasting notes, education and travels to find the grapes that make us all want to collect and experience a new bottle of wine, that dazzles our palate and makes us smile with each sip. I hope to share my love and experiences with you, Cheers!