Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Great Friends!

I was fortunate enough to be able to spend the weekend with my best friend of 40 years! I traveled with my eldest son to make it even more special...the occasion, a birthday celebration of a very dear friend.

Upon arrival my son and I were greeted with the warm smile and huge welcome from my best friend, as usual we immediately went to lunch. After a succulent lunch of made to order gourmet burgers, we went to our final destination for relaxation and fun, her lovely home..

The evening started off with a bottle of 2006 Flowers, Sonoma Coast Chardonnay, straw color, to the nose; vanilla and apricots, to the palate; full body, rich, structurally balanced and a nice finish.

We dined on a catered gourmet Asian inspired feast of epicurean delights. PJ's and Pinot was our theme and Fun and laughter lasted all night long.

My last evening there, my dear birthday girl decided to spoil me with one of my favorite chardonnay and one of my favorite pinot.

2006 Kistler Vineyard Chardonnay; This particular vintage scored a 96-98 and always consistently amazing. Very Burgundian in style, aromatics and texture. Golden honey color; to the palate; figs, white peach, papaya, perfectly balanced, structured, long finish. A special treat!

2006 Kost Browne, Pinot Noir 4 Barrel. Perhaps their best wine of the vintage for Kosta Browne. A very small lot, detailed to perfection and produces an amazing Pinot Noir. Now lets talk about how amazing this wine was, to the eye; dark cherry red, to the nose; dark berries, chocolate, to the palate; currants, dark berries, dark chocolate, beautifully balanced, very long finish, delicious. Pure bliss!

After this lovely wine, we rush off to Michael Jackson's, "This is It"....A perfect weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Orange County, CA, United States
I grew up with my Father, who had a great love and passion for wine and food. In the early 70's he collected many of the Grand Cru and wines that we now seek for collecting at a very high price. To my Father and a small group of friends, these wines were not marketed and highly worshiped as they are today, they merely collected them at a small price and educated themselves on each unique bottle. With this passion came a movement that started the wine shock in the early 70's and has continued until today. These same friends are very influential in the wine world today, wine editors, wine shop owners and highly praised collectors that keep us all on a watch for the next great wine of the year. Learning and tasting the great wines of the world at such an early age, forged a great love for admiring and collecting the grape. With this passion I bring to you along with my tasting notes, education and travels to find the grapes that make us all want to collect and experience a new bottle of wine, that dazzles our palate and makes us smile with each sip. I hope to share my love and experiences with you, Cheers!